The Beast Sled
This is the strongest position for the (stainless steel) grommets.
First, I was able to place grommets in the front corners of the rim of the sled. I put them as close to the folded over upper edge as possible, and in the center of the rounded corner part where the plastic is strongest.
Next, I put grommets in the front corners of the bottom of the sled, which is also a very strong point. I used stainless steel grommets for maximum strength. You have to pound them in for quite awhile to get the inside rim of the grommet folded over completely. You may have to tilt the tool a little while pounding to do this. Nickel grommets are much easier to install, and probably would work just as well.
Pole rope loop threaded through grommets.
Strap tightens connection. It works!
1/8" cord loop for lashing gear down.
Surgeon's knot on bottom works well.





7 comments:
This is a great set up. Simplicity definitely wins out on this one, especially with ease of use and being able to make repairs in the field. Nicely done!
I met you on the West Rim of Crater Lake Sat March 5. I liked your pulk as it is very similar to one that I created for a Crater circumnavigation a few years ago. I used 1/2 conduit with some other modifications. Anyway, while the pulk seemed like a good idea we eventually went with heavy packs. The deep snow and sidehills (north side of the Watchman is a shear cliff face in April) made the pulk not practical for Crater Lake. We skied with 45 lbs packs and did the 3 day trip with no problems.
Nice work on the pulk.
Good Luck,
Tony
Tony: Nice chatting with you passing on the trail. If you have a link to a description of your sled, I'd like to see it.
I was planning to check out the area around Watchman on Saturday, but I wimped out because of the snowstorm. I may try again this weekend, but I also want to check out Sun Notch.
I use fiberglass poles made from 1/2" electric fence posts. You can find them at a hardware store that sells horse fences. How long did you make your poles for skiing?
I think I'll do better on an icy traverse using MSR snowshoes and runners on the sled. I don't ski, but I imagine it's pretty scary on ice even without a pulk.
Bill,
I love your design and I am going to try it with my Pelican sled. That being stated, I do have a couple of questions:
1 how far do you have the conduit up the fiberglass rod?
2 can you describe the steps in the gluing process?
Thanks for taking the time to share your design!
Tyson
Tyson,
Sorry, I just saw your post (too many email addresses!)
I start with 2 1/2" fiberglass fence posts, 5 feet long. They're used for electric fences, and are available in hardware stores that sell them. I cut off the pointed tip preserving as much length as possible.
I use schedule 80 1/2" PVC pipe. Cut off 4 pieces, 3" long. 1" from one end of the 3" pipe, drill a hole to fit your rope loops. I'm using 4mm New England Accessory cord from REI for both ends now. The cord should slide easily through the hole in the pipe.
1" from the other end, drill a clearance hole in just one side of the pipe for a #8 flat head stainless sheet metal screw (3/4 inch long). Countersink the hole so the screw doesn't stick out.
Now drill a #8 guide hole in the fence post 1" from the end. The fiberglass is really hard, so the hole should be just barely smaller than the screw. Try screwing it in, and enlarge the hole if it gets hard to turn. I've broken off screws when the hole is too small.
Before gluing, you need to smooth out the end of the pipe to prevent the rope from chafing. I put a bolt in a PVC end cap and clamped the bolt in a drill to spin the end cap. Jam the 3" pvc pipe into the end cap and spin it with the drill. I use leather gloves and sandpaper to smooth the spinning pipe edge.
Now screw the pipe to the end of the pole to make sure it goes on easily. I rough up the last 2 inches of the pole with a file, and the inside of the pipe with a drill bit so it holds the glue better. Get everything ready and mix up the glue. Glop it on the end of the fence post and put it in the pipe with the hole lined up. Screw the pipe to the fence post. There's no need to over tighten and risk breaking the screw. Finally, smooth out the glue with your finger and wipe the excess. Hurry and do the other 3 pipes.
I hope this explains it. One of these days I'll post some pictures, but I've been too busy snow camping lately! Good luck.
Tony,
I'm gad you made it around Crater Lake without the sled. It took me 7 days to get around with a sled last April, and on snowshoes. Pictures of the trip are at:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/51436209
Dr.Pulk, I would like to build similar design but use a Jet Jr. Are there any changes required when building using Jet Jr.
Post a Comment